Buying a new home, whether for yourself or an investment, is always a big decision. And it’s a process that has its fair share of steps!
At Dimosons, we strive to make the whole experience as stress-free as possible. So, here’s our top 8 tips for buying your next place!
- Stay in the loop. When looking for properties, it’s important you know the minute a new one is on the market. The best way to do this is to sign up for our regular property updates – see the home page.
- Know your place. You should have a list of preferred suburbs that fit with your requirements (schools, transport etc) as well as your budget.
- Bank on it. Before you even start looking, it’s wise to speak your bank or broker to work out what you can afford and the type of loan that will work for you.
- Do your homework. Once you’ve narrowed down areas, there are great resources available to learn about other properties in your area. These include the sold properties listed on websites like domain.com.au or realestate.com.au. Also sites like onthehouse.com.au give a lot of information, along with publications like the weekly Mercury property guide liftout (Saturdays) and the weekly Real Estate guide (Thursdays) at newsagents and agencies.
- Shop around. Buying a property involves a bunch of services – not just the real estate agent. Compare local solicitors, conveyancers and mortgage brokers and loan providers to get the one that suits your needs.
- Take a moment. You’re making a decision on a property that you may have for years, decades even. It makes sense to take your time to feel right about everything.
- Don’t sign anything! Okay, not straight away at least. There are many legal terms and clauses when it comes to buying a property. Ensure to read through everything and understand the contracts and loan agreements. If you’re not sure, seek the advice of someone who will know. It’s worth it!
- Enjoy yourself! It’s an exciting time and providing you’ve armed yourself with the facts, you’ll be in the best position to secure your new home.